With God’s blessing and presence, we desire to share the treasures of the Orthodox Christian faith, making them accessible to the people of Australia in the English language, so that together we can experience union with God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and forever.
Through the grace of God, the Good Shepherd Orthodox Mission exists to offer in the English language:
Worship, mission, pastoral care, catechism and growth in the Orthodox tradition.
While our unity is in the Orthodox Tradition under the jurisdiction of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand & the Philippines, our strength lies in the diversity of a community that reflects the many cultures of the Orthodox Tradition. We embrace the idea of an emerging Australian Orthodox identity.
- We value community and richness of liturgical life.
- We express our diverse heritage through sharing and experiencing the spiritual gifts of our community thereby enriching all.
- We cherish the young as the inheritors and beneficiaries of our missionary zeal and commit to them through education, and the passing on of the rich and diverse wealth of Orthodox teachings, witness, culture and experience.
- We understand that spiritual labour is not only individual but also communal. Each member of our community is called to contribute to growing our community through example, skill and culture sharing, leadership, mentoring, evangelism and caring for each other.
- We desire for the Good Shepherd Orthodox Mission to grow into a flourishing English speaking Orthodox community that provides opportunities for spiritual growth through the sacraments, worship, education and pastoral care for all.
To achieve our Vision, our goals are to:
- Grow a thriving and prayerful Orthodox English speaking community.
- Support and encourage families to grow and be enriched through the Faith.
- Grow a socially connected and supportive church community.
- Create a committed tithing community.
- Encourage vocations within our community.
- Acquire a permanent home for the Good Shepherd Orthodox Mission.
To call Australians into a personal relationship with the Holy Trinity, to strive for attainment of likeness to and union with God (theosis), each member of the community at their own pace under spiritual guidance.
... that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
— Ephesians 3:17-19